Your friend GiGi...

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Theme of Three Weeks?

It's been around three weeks since I promised another post in another day. Sad. :-( Well, maybe just pathetic! Maybe I just have too much to say for a blog. I am a talker you know.

Amyway, I fall in love with the books I read. I have a hard time moving on to the next book because I have to sort of "roll" the thoughts around in my head of what happened in the last book before I can move on. I read Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks over the weekend. First of all, The Notebook is one of my favorite books and IS my favorite movie. I don't guess I knew that it was his first novel to sell for publication. WOW!!!!! AND it was based on his wife's grandparents. Real people. Can I just tell you that I love it even more now?

He was selling pharmaceuticals for a living, supporting his wife and two sons, when he got the call that The Notebook had sold for a million dollars!!! I was so excited when I read it (and this happened in 1995) that I wanted to call them and congratulate them. I mean I was so HAPPY for them!!!!! He had just set up a lunch buffet for some doctors to present his "drugs" when he got the call from his agent. How exciting is that?

He talks about where he was in his life when he and his brother, Micah, took a three week trip pretty much around the world. Overwhelmingly busy. In a nutshell, sometimes we can be on a calm stream in a canoe, at other times we may find ourselves in the rapids having to paddle but handling things okay, and then at other times we may be paddling for dear life to keep from going over the waterfall. Leading up to his trip he had been at the waterfall stage for a while. I have felt that I've been there for a while. Emotionally, physically.....sadly enough spiritually. The book reminded me of the things that need to be prioritized in my life. Now I have to work on actually DOING it.

Another of my favorite books that he's written is A Walk to Remember. I love the purity of Jaime Sullivan. Her innocence and love of life. Her sweetness and goodness. Her spunk for what's right and her concern for others. I see it in my daughter Libby. I see it in my daughter-in-law's Delilah and Emily. I see qualities in Jaime that stand out in my daughter's Hallie-Grace and Zoe.

I learned that he based Jaime on his sister Dana who was battling brain cancer when he wrote A Walk to Remember. He talks throughout the book about Dana's sweetness and gentleness. Her deep concern for others. He and his sister even share the same birthday!

So, I guess you've figured out by now that the book I read this past weekend is not only about Nicholas Spark's three week trip with his brother, Micah, but it's also autobiographical. And it's actually written by he and his brother Micah Sparks.

It's an awesome book. I have to get it back to the library before it's overdue and I'm sad. I get really attached to books. Oh, and one more thing. I haven't read Nights in Rodanthe yet, but I've requested it from the library AND the movie comes out this month. Wonder if it's good?

Read any good books lately?

3 Comments:

  • I am hooked on Karen Kingsbury right now...actually have been for about a year or two! Her books are so real and you feel like the characters could be your next door neighbors.

    By Blogger care-in, At September 16, 2008 at 10:22 PM  

  • SOOOO scary - but right now I am reading the latest by Nicholas Sparks - The Choice. It's a tearjerker and again proves why I love his writing so much. It's believable, and full of love, and tests of faith and relationships. Whew. You've gotta go get it.

    By Blogger Jennifer, At September 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

  • Oh, and Nights... is good too. I read it a couple of years ago. I bet the movie will be great.

    By Blogger Jennifer, At September 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home